regulationslaws on smoke alarms in rented property

i live in a private rented property and the agents will not allow me to install a smoke alarm what is the law on this

One comment on “regulationslaws on smoke alarms in rented property

  1. The applicable legislation depends on the age and type of property. The 1991 Smoke Detectors Act requires that all new houses that have been built since 1992 must, by law, have a smoke detector installed. The minimum requirement being one smoke alarm on each level of the building. However, this is not a piece of legislation aimed specifically at residential letting property, but aimed at all new buildings.

    Although there is no legislation requiring smoke alarms to be fitted in other ordinary tenanted properties, it is generally considered that under the common law, Landlords have the duty to ensure the safety of rented property and its contents to Tenants, occupants, neighbours or the public do not suffer injury or damage. This 'duty of care' means that Landlords and their Agents could be liable should a fire cause injury or damage in a tenanted property where smoke alarms are not fitted.

    If an agent installs smoke alarms into properties that he manages or they already exist, care must be taken in ensuring that it is clear from the letting agreement who is responsible for the maintenance of the detectors including testing and battery replacement. To neglect this matter could mean that the landlord or agent is responsible, and in the case of a fire could be held liable for being negligent in their duties.

    This may be the reason why the landlord is reluctant to allow you to fit a smoke alarm. It may help if you inform them that you are willing to be responsible for the maintenance of the smoke alarms.

    There are different rules covering Houses in Multiple Occupation with regard to the installation of smoke detectors and other fire prevention measures. The 2004 Housing Act requires the landlord to do several things about fire safety including, depending on the size of the property, there may have to be smoke alarms and fire extinguishing equipment. If the property is a considered to be a House in Multiple Occupation by your council which is subject to licensing, your landlord must also comply with license conditions in relation to fire safety.

    See here for more details

Comments are closed.